EMPLOYEE: Membership Engagement Coordinator
SUPERVISOR: Senior Rabbi
This position will play an integral role at Sinai Temple, working alongside passionate clergy to provide personalized meaningful synagogue experiences to our diverse members, who range in age from 0-99. This individual will be the first point of contact for prospective and new members- welcoming them and learning what they are looking for from a synagogue community. This person will also be the point person for returning and long-time members, working to continue to provide excellent customer service in a multitude of ways and have each member feel “known.” A critical part of this position will be intentionally linking members with other members, building micro-communities to foster connection and personal growth. In collaboration with the Executive Team, this position will design, plan and implement an annual programming calendar that offers a creative arc of learning while supporting our members in exploring their evolving Jewish identities, connecting with one another and to the larger Sinai Temple kehillah.
Membership Recruitment and Intake
- Meets each new and prospective member; establishes second and third points of connections.
- Intentionally connects each new member with a Sinai Temple “partner” member designed to welcome them smoothly to the community.
- Designs and implements membership recruitment opportunities throughout the year (e.g. holiday programs in the community, meet n’ greets with clergy, etc.)
- Collaborates with schools for unified and strategic recruitment opportunities
- Handles all administrative duties related to the intake of new members
- Manages financial aid process for new and returning members
- Partners with Sinai Akiba Academy on membership financial aid process
Relationship Building and Membership Retention
- In collaboration with clergy, will build a “Jewish journey” for each congregant.
- Meets with each congregant once a year to connect and determine touchpoints for the year, to foster ongoing growth in our congregation.
- Works with each congregant to identify the area/s of synagogue life that would provide the most meaningful experience (e.g., committee involvement, adult education, ritual experiences, etc.)
- In collaboration with IT, develops a membership system that technologically connects members to synagogue entry points appropriate for their life stage
- Initiates outreach and engagement with members at critical life cycle moments (e.g., births, b’nai-mitzvah, weddings, divorces, loss of a loved one, etc.)
- Partners with Sinai Temple Mental Health Director in connecting through bereavement.
Membership Engagement Through Programming
- Meets with micro community lay leaders to design and support community building programming that engages each group and enhances the synagogue community calendar (i.e. Men’s Club, Sisterhood, Adult Education, Israel Center)
- Designs and implements 3-4 “stand out” community-wide programming (Shabbatonim, Shabbat dinners, holiday programming) over the course of the year.
- Collaborates with the Director of Congregational Learning in implementing adult education programming
- Works with Communications Team in publicity of all community events
- Manages budget for programming initiatives
- Partners with lay committee to actualize the goals of membership engagement through programming.
- Collaborates with clergy, staff, and lay leadership as to which programs add to Sinai Temple’s virtual brand
- Desire to strategically build and grow the Jewish community
- Self-motivated, creative thinker
- Impeccable attention to detail while maintaining efficiency and accuracy
- Excellent oral and written communications skills; excellent organizational skills
- Team player that looks forward to collaboration Enjoys meeting new people and connecting congregants to synagogue life
- Connected to the Jewish world and independently, can reach out to speakers and teachers
- Has the ability to work on Friday evenings and Saturday mornings as needed
- Well versed in Jewish culture with a passion for ongoing Jewish learning.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office software (Word, Access, Excel, Power Point).
- Proficient with database management system: running queries and mail merges and using and Events Management software.
- Proficient in social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram)
- Knowledge of general office machines and telephone systems
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
$65,000-70,000 depending on candidate’s experience
Rabbi Erez Sherman: email@example.com
Sinai Temple is an equal opportunity employer. It considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, or any other characteristics protected by applicable state or federal law. This job description is subject to change by management. Reasonable accommodation will be made in accordance with the law.